Thursday 8 September 2016

The latest update

So, I went to see my new consultant a couple of days ago and he filled us with more information than I thought was possible! The consultant was extremely informative and in control ad this made me feel veyr safe.

He said the tumour seems to be chemo immune where the treatment works for the first part and the fights back. To cure this they normally use radiotherapy, but as I have already had that  and it didn't work, this is quite worrying.

I am to continue on the brentuximab as planned and then have another scan to determine the next step of treatment, the doctor was very honest and said he isn't expecting this drug to work but you never know, its about time I had some good luck!

The next treatment will depend fully on the results of the scan, but could be a clinical trial, or transplant with a lower success rate before I go on to use a donor for a transplant. Using a donor is risky for rejection and can be very dangerous but it has the higher success rate out of the 2 and at this point I'm willing to do anything!

This news has hit us hard as we expected it to all be over in a few months and it could now take a lot longer but we will continue to fight together and get through this.

For now, everyone keep your fingers and toes crossed for a miracle that this treatment works and I can have my own cells as planned in the near future!!

No comments:

Post a Comment